Friday, August 31, 2007

My Favorite Memories

My friend Annie wrote her favorite memories with her husband yesterday, and they were so sweet. I liked them so much that I wanted to share my own favorite memories with my husband.

Just a quick history first:

We started dating in February of 2003
We were engaged April 27, 2006
We were married March 25, 2007

1. Our very first official date was Valentine's Day 2003. We were supposed to go eat at Outback and then go to a movie, but when we got to Outback it was so crowded that we ended up going to Sonic. We had the best time just sitting there in the car laughing and talking. We went to see How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days. I still remember what Hal was wearing that night.


2. Soon after our first date Hal had to leave for spring training in West Palm Beach, FL. I drove him to the airport the morning of March 1. When we got to the airport he handed me a card and told me not to open it until he was gone. When he left I opened it and it was the sweetest card telling me how much fun he had with me over the last few weeks and it said "I love you."


3. Hal's dad invited me to drive down with him that March to visit Hal in spring training. I didn't tell Hal I was coming so I could surprise him. Harry and I went to the field to wait on him to get finished. When he was, I hid behind a tree and when he walked by I stepped out and surprised him. He was so excited to see me and so happy I had come. He didn't remember that I lied to him and told him I couldn't come! :D


4. Every time I would fly down to see him, I would walk out of the terminal and there he would stand waiting on me. My heart would be racing and our faces would just light up with excitement. It was such a great feeling!


5. I used to love to surprise Hal, and I would trick him so I could surprise him. The week he graduated from the Citadel, I drove down to surprise him. He had no idea I was coming. I parked right next to his car then called and asked him to go out to his car, I thought I had left something. When he got out there, I was propped on his car, waiting for him. He went AWOL that night so he could come stay with me!


6. When Hal had Tommy John surgery I got to be the one to go with him and take care of him. The Cincinnati Reds doctor was the one that performed the surgery so we had to drive up to Northern Kentucky to stay for a week after the surgery. I got to spend the whole week taking care of him and nursing him back to health. Hal wasn't at his best, but just being together for that whole week, brought us so close.


7. A few winters ago Hal and I drove up to Boone, NC so I could go skiing. He doesn't know how to ski and knew how much I love to, so he offered to drive me up there and sit there while I got to ski. I just thought that was such a selfless thing to do, because he couldn't ski with me.


8. Like Annie's husband, Hal took care of me when I had my wisdom teeth out. I slept on the couch those first couple of nights and Hal would sleep on the floor beside me. Every 2 hours he would wake up and change my gauze even though he had to go to work the next day. We weren't even married, but he stayed at my parent's house to help take care of me.


9. The day that Hal proposed to me is a day that I will never forget. He sent me flowers that morning, some of the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen. He got to my house that afternoon to pick me up for the Edwin McCain concert we were going to see. Before we could leave he really tricked me (a long story) and ended up proposing. I knew it was coming, but I had no idea it would be that day or the way it happened. It was a perfect day, and Edwin McCain and a surprise appearance by Hootie and the Blowfish was just icing on the cake!


10. Our wedding day, of course, was the greatest day. I got to marry the man of my dreams that day. I will never forget the feeling, walking down the aisle, looking at him knowing that I was content for the rest of my life.


There are so many memories that we have shared. I am so lucky to have a wonderful husband who makes me laugh, who takes care of me, supports me, and loves me with all of his heart. Most of all I am thankful that I have a husband who loves the Lord and puts him first in his life.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

So sweet! You guys sound PERFECT for each other and so in love!

Kelly said...

ps- When I had my wisdom teeth taken out my mom and sister went out of town on a shopping trip, and my dad and Andy doped me up and went on a hiking trip! I was left on the couch knocked out cold for the day!!! Ok, so it wasn't THAT bad, Andy came back and took care of me too...but they all really did leave me for hours and hours! :-)

Terri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terri said...

Hey Haley! I found your blog from your facebook page. I have really enjoyed reading your posts!! Hope you are doing well...Congrats on the new house!

Haley said...

Terri, I am so glad you have started a blog! We just bought a house in the Lyman mill village, so when y'all come down to see Matt and Nicole, you will have to stop to see us too! We will be right around the corner from them!