Saturday, August 4, 2007

Home Is Where the Heart Is

Earlier this morning I attended the funeral of a great family friend. My uncle's (mom's sister's husband) mom had passed away after 85 fulfilling years on this earth. The family was always very close with our family, and it was very sad to hear of her death. I sat there at the funeral, listened to the pastor deliver the eulogy, and hoped that one day when God does call me home, I will have left half the legacy that this woman has.

The preacher spoke about what an amazing woman, mother, wife, friend, and christian she was. He said one thing that really stuck out in my mind, and as I thought about it, I realized just how true the statement was. He said that no matter where she was or where she was living, when her family was near, she was HOME...on earth at least.

I really grasped that statement and my mind really began to trail away thinking of just how true that was to me! No matter where I am or what I am doing, when I am near my family, I am home. I am so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful family who love me just as much as I love them. All of the material things I have would not matter if I didn't have my family to share them with.

Now, not only do I have wonderful parents, but I have a wonderful husband and in-laws who are such important parts of my family as well. There are so many times that I cherish with my family that mean so much more than any item that you can buy. Whether we are riding the golf cart with my parents or sitting around a table playing UNO with Hal's whole family, I know that these times are the essence of my life. When I look back in 20 years, I will remember those special times that we spent together, the times where we really did nothing, but meant everything to me.

I feel so lucky to feel so loved. I know that there are people in this world who are not as lucky as me, who do not have anyone, and I am so thankful for the life I have been blessed with. Home is where my heart is, and my family has my heart! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are well grounded to realize such at your age. Family is what truly matters. Family will always be there through thick and thin.

Alison said...

Haley, You are such a good writer! I know what you mean about family, those are the moments I cherish the most! I love being able to spend time with all of us! We are blessed with great familes!