The fall following my high school graduation I moved to Columbia to start school at USC. It was just as I suspected, what little contact I did have with my friend had stopped. I got settled in at USC, made lots of new friends, and started my new life as a college student. Fall went by, and my friend and I hadn't spoken for what seemed like years. That was okay, we were in different places. The thoughts of him had turned to distant memories. All of the butterflies were gone.
On Friday January 30, 2003 I packed up my things to go home for the weekend. I had just had one of the most terrifying and awful nights of my life (a story for another blog). I needed to get away, I needed to be home. I got out of class that Friday morning, went back to my dorm to get my things, and checked my email before making my trek up the interstate. I had an email from my mom telling me that I should stop by her school on the way home. I emailed her back, telling her that I was leaving right then and I would be there in about an hour and a half.
About 1:00 I rolled into the D.R. Hill parking lot to visit my mom. As I said before, I had a really awful night the night before, so I looked terrible. I was wearing blue jeans, a black tee shirt, and a black fleece pullover. I had no make up on, my hair was pulled back in a pony tail, and I just felt like a mess. I went on into the school anyway, I didn't care much how I looked to my mom's friends. When I got there my mom said that there was someone she wanted to take me to see, I hadn't seen them in a while, and she knew I would want to see HIM. "Him?" I thought. Must be one of my old teachers. I followed my mom out of her office and down the long hall to the gymnasium. On the way there she said that there was a substitute teacher that I was going to see. When we opened the door, I looked around, and down on the gym floor in the far right, was my friend. The butterflies in my stomach came rushing back, I could feel my jaw hit the ground and the blood flee from my face.
He spotted me about the same time I spotted him, and a big smile came across his face. I mustered up a little wave, and then started walking forward to the stairs. He walked over to meet me and greeted me with a big hug. "Hey girl!" he said, like he was so happy to see me. We had never hugged like that before. We started talking just like old times. Finally I think all the blood had returned to my face, and I was probably blushing. I asked him how he and his girlfriend were doing and he told me that they were okay. I was so bummed. I had really thought this might be my chance. I told him it was great to see him and we said our goodbyes. I walked away thinking again "If only..."
I went home and got some much needed sleep that day. One of my friends called and wanted to see me while I was home so I humored him and went out for a few hours. I had left my cell phone in my car, and when I got back in I had 3 missed calls. After the night I had just had, I didn't want anyone to be calling me. As I listened to my messages, my heart was racing, the first was from my mom. She said "Haley, your FRIEND called here tonight wanting your phone number. I hope it was okay, but I gave him your cell phone number." I was stunned, I didn't know what to think, but I had to listen to the rest of my messages. The next message was from HIM, he had actually called me! HE HAD A GIRLFRIEND and he was calling ME! He said "Hey Haley, this is Hal Chafey, I was calling to talk, I was thinking that we should get together before I leave for spring training in March." Holy Cow! Those butterflies almost carried me away! I couldn't believe it, just when I thought it was over, it had only just begun!
I raced to dial his number back, and he answered. We talked for a few minutes and he told me he would call me the following week. I was so excited! Of course, you know boys, by Wednesday of the following week, he hadn't called. I was absolutely NOT going to let this boy, the guy that I had dreamed about for 5 years, get away from me this time. I picked up my phone and I called him. When he answered, we said hello and exchanged our initial pleasantries. He immediately apologized for not calling. He said, "Haley, I am so sorry for not calling, I didn't know how you would feel about this, but I broke up with my girlfriend yesterday." WOO HOO was what was going through my brain at that moment but instead I said, "Oh I am so sorry to hear that." He told me that it had been a long time coming and that he wasn't upset at all. What really shocked me was what he said next. "I was hoping that I could come to Columbia and visit you tomorrow," he said. I told him that would be fine and that I would call my good friend Evan to see if he could stay the night with him.
The next day I was not worth a penny all day long. I had butterflies in my stomach from the minute I woke up. I knew this would be the first day of the rest of my life. He arrived about 4:00 and I could tell he was nervous! We both knew, this was it! For the next month we were inseparable. He would drive down every other day to see me and I would sneak home every other day and see him, then we would spend every minute of the weekend together. I will never forget, one of the first nights we were together, I wore a shirt from Hollister that said "I melted Frosty" on it. When he saw it he said, "You melted Hal too." The butterflies got me again.
Here we are 4 and a half years later, MARRIED. I look at him still today and think "WOW, I really did marry the man of my dreams!" Everytime he opens the door, calls my cell phone, or simply says "I love you" those same butterflies get me. The road hasn't always been easy, but it makes everything worth it! The butterflies make it worth it!
3 comments:
Haley, there are tears in my eyes right now. What a romance. I loved hearing your whole story, since I only knew bits of it. How beautiful it was, and what a story for kids and grandkids one day! Heres to a lifetime of butterflies...
aw Meredith, thank you! I had read the first part of my story to Hal the day after I wrote it and he loved it. Then yesterday, when I wrote the second part, I read the rest to him. I started crying reading the last paragraph to him and I looked over and he had tears in his eyes!
That is so sweet! Yall are precious together! What a wonderful story!
Post a Comment