Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thirteen Traditions

There are lots of traditions to be carried on during the holidays and I just wanted to share thirteen traditions, old and new, from my family.

1. We drive to NC to pick out and cut down our Christmas tree. My mom started this in 2000 when it was just the 2 of us and we loved doing it so much that we started doing it every year.

2. There is always a lot of baking around the holidays between my mom and I. She always makes dipped pretzel sticks (my fav), white chocolate covered Ritz and peanut butter crackers, and boiled custard with a pound cake. I am not sure that I have ever gone one Christmas without boiled custard and pound cake. I look forward to it all year!

3. Because there is so much eating to do during the holidays, we started something new a couple of years ago. My mom makes finger foods for our meal for Christmas eve. We have all kinds of great stuff thats not on any normal menu and we love it!

4. I got to go to Hal's extended family Christmas for the first time 2 years ago and loved it. His grandmother always has the whole family over on Christmas day and she cooks a whole prime rib. It is probably the yummiest prime rib I have ever eaten.

5. We open all of our gifts on Christmas eve.

6. We have really enjoyed doing Operation Christmas Child the last couple of years. I am sure we will continue to do this every year.

7. One of the weekends before Christmas, my parents, Hal and I always ride around looking for Christmas lights or go to Hollywild. I know this doesn't sound like much, but it is ALWAYS a hilarious time!

8. On Christmas eve evening we go to Hal's sister's house to exchange gifts with his immediate family and have dessert. Last year we got to help play Santa for our niece and nephew, and it was so exciting!

9. My work has a Christmas party at a fancy restaurant a couple weeks before Christmas. It is always a nice time and I get my Christmas bonus! : )

10. On Christmas eve at 11:00pm our church has a beautiful candlelight service. It is a wonderful service with praise music, the Lord's supper, and scripture reading. It is probably my favorite thing we do to celebrate Christmas.

11. Last year Hal and I went shopping the day after Christmas and scored some fantastic deals. I expect that we will do the same this year and for years to come!

12. Our holiday wouldn't be complete if we didn't watch football!

13. After all the hussle and bustle of Christmas, we always do something fun and relaxing to celebrate the New Year with our friends. It is something for us to look forward to, and one last fun thing to do before we go back to work.


Tell me about your favorite tradition!

5 comments:

The Dales said...

What are you doing this new years? Jon and I need to do something fun for new years!

Haley said...

Steph, I don't have a clue what we are doing this year! We won't be going out of town because we can't afford it, so something around here. Want to plan something together?

Medic Mom said...

Boiled custard? I don't think I've ever heard of that - sounds interesting!

Haley said...

Christan, its likely that there is another name for it, but thats all I know it as. It is similar to a pudding but with a thinner consistency. My mom and grandma store it in a pitcher (like a tea pitcher). I am not even sure how you make it, but we pour it over our pound cake. It is so good!

I just came across this recipe, it will help you better understand what it is:

http://hootsbuddy.blogspot.com/2006/11/boiled-custard-recipe.html

Terri said...

Love your Christmas traditions!! I love the Christmas Eve service at church, too!!

Oh, Grey's is on, but it's a rerun! I'm still watching, but between no Private Practice yesterday and Grey's being a rerun tonight, tv this week has been a bummer!!