I have become pretty frustrated over the last few weeks and it has caused me to develop a chip on my shoulder.
Everywhere I go, everywhere I look there are Christmas decorations. The city streets in Greer are already lined with stockings and Christmas trees, all of the stores are full of Christmas things, and they are even beginning to play Christmas music on the radio every night!
WHAT ABOUT THANKSGIVING? Are we not celebrating this holiday anymore?
There is a full month and 3 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I feel like the stores and the radio stations are forcing me to forget about Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving, to me, is just as important as Christmas. We celebrate how thankful we are for our lives and give all the glory to our Lord. How is this not important?
Every year, it seems like the commerical Christmas comes earlier and earlier.
Christmas has become so commercialized, and so much more about our boosting our economy than anything else.
What frustrates me so, is that most of us get so caught up in the hussle and bustle of Christmas to take time to thank God for sending His Son to save us. Thanksgiving is the other time that we can do this, and its being looked over by so many people.
I am not writing this post to offend my readers that have already put up their decorations. That is not what this is about! I know that most of you are Christians who celebrate the meaning of Christmas year-round, and know the importance of Thanksgiving. I just don't understand how we can commercialize Christmas so, and forget all about Thanksgiving.
I am so thankful for everything I have been blessed with and even more thankful for a day that I can celebrate that!
I love turkey day because there is no giving and receiving of gifts, no hussle and bustle. It is just time with family reflecting on all of the blessings in life. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate JESUS!
Leave a comment, let me know how you feel!
Now after my serious soliloquy, I want to leave you with something fun.
3 comments:
I love reading your blog Haley, because I feel, so often, like you and I think so much along the same lines that it is scary!
Once again, you have posted on your blog on yet another topic that I agree with and feel strongly about. Where has Thanksgiving gone? Every year, it feels as if we go straight from Halloween to Christmas, forgetting that oh so important holiday where we take time to celebrate and give thanks for all of the MANY blessings from GOD. I LOVE Christmas as much as anyone else, but I also love Thanksgiving! And you're right, it's way over commercialized! I too am not trying to offend anyone by any means, I also just want people to remember good ol' Thanksgiving! Oh, how I could go on and on! But I'll stop, I think you get how I feel..haha!
I agree with you completely!! I went in the day after Halloween to the WalMart here in town (and I mean I went in at like 7am) and they already had their whole Santa Land thing up. EVERYTHING was Christmas!! I called Cory and asked if I had missed Thanksgiving - he just laughed. It seems as though they start up earlier and earlier every year. How sad...
I agree!!! I love Thanksgiving and it seems slighted more and more every year. (I love Christmas too, but come on! Should we just go ahead and put our trees up for Halloween?!?)
Post a Comment