Monday, December 3, 2007

The thought of quitting

My first semester back to school winds down in just 3 days and boy am I glad. There is always great relief that comes at the end of a semester, but this year I am experiencing it more so than ever.

The first reason for my relief is very simple. I really do not like going to class 4 nights a week. I have done it without hesitation, but I will NEVER do it again. I never get home before 7:30 on any night that I have class, and this usually means that I don't cook. I feel less than adequate because I can't cook for Hal like I used to. It usually ends up being frozen pizzas or something quick that I throw together, and I just don't like that. On top of that, I hardly ever feel like cleaning when I come in, so the house stays a mess until the weekend. I really feel like I am neglecting my husband and I hate that feeling! Next semester I have class one night a week, I think he can do without me for that long!

The second reason for my anxiety, and the reason for the title of the blog, is that I do not like dealing with Greenville Tech. Hal and I made the decision when I decided to go back to school, for me to go to Gville Tech for a couple semesters so that we could save money. Well let me tell you, it has not been worth it at all. Here is what I have been dealing with:

At the beginning of the semester I was told that I qualified to receive lottery money towards my tuition. That was great because basically my tuition was cut in half! They told me that since I didn't apply until late in the summer, I would have to pay the full tuition and I would receive a refund check with the difference. I was told that the checks were issued 30 days after the first day of class. The first day of class was August 20th and to this day I have not received my refund check! In the last 4 weeks I have left 2 phone messages with financial aid and paid one visit to the business office. Each time, one office would tell me I needed to speak with the other office. WHAT? I got a BILL in the mail Friday telling me that next semester's tuition was due TODAY, and the lottery money was not applied. After mumbling a couple of ugly words under my breath, I decided that I was going to go sit in front of the financial aid office today until someone would help me get to the bottom of this. I waited 45 minutes and my name was finally called! I go back to the office of Juanita, my angel at Gville Tech. She explained to me that the financial aid office had supposedly never received my transcripts from USC and that they couldn't process my aid. I told her how I could prove that my transcripts were received and BAM! it was done. My lottery money was processed and added to next semester's tuition and I was good to go.

Of course I would never quit, but I won't lie, the thought did cross my mind. I have been very patient during this whole process, but today I lost my cool. I thought about the kids who are just out of high school who are dealing with this same process. It is enough to make you think about quitting, because it really doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Every single legal thing I have had to do at Greenville Tech this semester is such a commotion! I am ready for this semester to be over, and thankfully I only have 3 more days! I feel I definately deserve a 4 week break!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Don't give up Haley! I know how frustrating Greenville Tech can be. Very, very unorganized. You really have to stay on top of them.

All of the hassle will be worth it in the end. Best of luck! I will say a prayer for you!

Medic Mom said...

Hang in there girl!! Greenville Tech can be a pain in the butt, but keep your eye on the prize and next time they are late, stay on them!! That's the only way to get things done there! I spent 6 years there (3 degrees), so I definitely understand what you are saying!!!

Terri said...

Megan and I both had issues with Gvlle Tech! They cannot get it together at all. She's right, you HAVE to stay on top of them. When I decided to go to Spbtg Tech, dealing with them was so much smoother than at Gvlle. Good luck and stay after them...don't give up! You have worked too hard!! :)