Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I need your help...

One of my cousins just found out that she is pregnant. She took a pregnancy test this past weekend that came back positive.

She thinks that she may be farther along than first expected because her clothes are already becoming tight and she is already wearing maternity pants from a previous pregnancy.

She had made herself an appointment for her annual check up at the gyno for the end of January. When she called her doctors office to tell them that she had gotten a positive result for pregnancy, they told her that it wasn't urgent for her to come in, and that she could just wait until the end of January. There are 7 or 8 more weeks until her appointment.

Is this normal, or should she be going somewhere else? This just sounded very odd to me, but I have never been pregnant before, so I wouldn't really know.

I thought that as soon as you found out you are pregnant, you go to the doctor for confirmation blood tests, ultra sounds, etc. Am I right?

I need your help with this one! I just don't think this is right!? Please let me in on how things went for you.

Thanks a ton!

9 comments:

Medic Mom said...

Different OB's do things differently. Some want you to come in and confirm the pregnancy, some want to wait until you are far enough along to hear a fetal heart tone (usually about 8 weeks). She need to calculate how long its been since her LMP (period) - this should give her a round about number of weeks. Give or take. Tell her not to worry, though. Just make sure her OB knows she thinks she's pregnant, there's not really too much difference from here until about 8 weeks. If she thinks she's pregnant, they're gonna tell her to stop smoking/drinking (if she does either), rest and begin to take prenatal vitamins - these are also sold OTC. Hope that helps - anymore questions, please feel free to ask! I'm not an expert, just going off my experiences!

Haley said...

Let me clarify a little bit...there has been speculation of a pregnancy for some weeks now (I don't know exactly how long) but she just took the pregnancy test to confirm what she thought. She has been wearing maternity clothes for at least a couple of weeks. Most of the pregnant ladies I know do not wear maternity clothes in their first 12 weeks. This is why I am questioning the situation.

Meredith said...

I personally think that she COULD be farther along than 8 weeks, and I would demand to come in earlier. She's the patient; she can do that.
On the other hand, I have a pregnant friend right now who is 8 weeks and already wearing what she calls "fat pants," and this is her 2nd child. She told me that most people tend to show earlier in their second, third, etc. pregnancies. Don't know if that's true... but I'd still tell the doc, "Get me in now!"

Medic Mom said...

Definitely if she feels like she wants to be seen ASAP, then she needs to tell her OB to get her in there. I just didn't want you to think that her OB was blowing her off. As far as the clothes thing is concerned, if she was super skinny to begin with, she may have put on some weight already. Every woman is different. If she feels uneasy, have her let the OB know that - she definitely does not need the added stress of not knowing. And if she's not pregnant and is not having a period (especially if she is regular), something else could be going on!

Carly said...

My suggestion would be for her to call her doctor's office and explain that she thinks she is pretty far along and feels she might benefit from getting an earlier appointment. It depends on the doctor, but when I called they scheduled me to come in a week later. I was only about 4-5 weeks at my first appointment. I am now 13 weeks and have gone to the doctor 3 times and had an ultrasound. She would probably be fine until Jan, but I was way too excited/anxious to have waited that long! I'm sure she feels the same way. If she is local and feels she wants to call another OBGYN email me and I'll let you know where I go. carlyaphillips@gmail.com

Annie said...

Christan's answers were exactly what I was going to say. Where does your cousin live? Greer OBGYN has one kick butt OB nurse that will take GREAT care of her.

Kelly said...

Is it her first child? I put on weight fast with Eli, and I was in maternity clothes before I knew it. So, that could be the case if it's a 2nd or 3rd pregnancy.
My first OB appointments at Greer OB were just talking with Sherie (Annie's mom), not even seeing a dr., so it wasn't really urgent. But I was so excited/nervous that I wanted to get in there ASAP.
If I were to get pregnant again (yeah right!) I'd probably be more relaxed and not worry about getting an appointment asap.
I agree with Mere though, if she wants to see a dr. now, she should be able to. But if she's been suspecting that she was pregnant for a few weeks anyway and hadn't even taken a test, she's probably not too worried about waiting until Jan. to see the dr. (Oh, plus they could be super busy with Christmas closings.)

Jessi said...

When I found out I was pregnant with Tucker I had to tell the nurse the last time I had a period. Then she figured it out over the phone and I was about 9 weeks along, and had no clue I was pregnant. I got lucky because they had a cancellation the following Tuesday. But now, with Noah, the first, I had to wait about 6 weeks before I was able to see the doctor. If she thinks she's further along than 8 wks, then she needs to call her doctor again. She should also start on her vitamins. But as far as the clothes go, I was in a bigger size by about 10 weeks. Putting on the weight came real easy for me with Tucker. I think for most women, you put on more weight with your second. Good luck to your cousin.

The Dales said...

Well, lets see.....my experience is everything is probably gonna be alright! I was 19 weeks when I had my very first appointment with my OB and Perrin turned out great so she wil most likely be ok if she does wait but she is probably wanting to know BAD!!! If she wants an appointment (and I would have too if I had known I was pregnant) then she should say too bad, I want an appt. earlier, I'm paying so I'm coming! I would go in just because my curiosity would be KILLING ME to find out for sure! Tell her congrats if she is!!!!!!