Monday, January 7, 2008

Does it bother anyone else?

(Warning: this might turn long)

I am in shock, that's really all I can say. I just do not know what is happening in this world, and it seems like we are in a rapid downward spiral. Here are two issues that worry me:

First, does it bother anyone else that CONGRESS is spending so much time and money on investigating this whole steroid mess in baseball? Why is Congress the ones to do the investigation? After hearing Roger Clemens interview on 60 minutes last night, I am just disgusted, totally disgusted, with our law makers.

Because my husband is a former professional baseball player I have look at this situation in the most objective way possible. I understand that steroids changes the whole game of baseball, but does it really amount to anymore than a hill of beans? And again, where does Congress come into this whole mix?

So far, the only penalty for steroid use among baseball players is to put an asterisk beside their name in the Hall of Fame. Why spend millions of dollars on an investigation if the only penalty they will get is an asterisk beside their name?

Here is why I am upset. Our Congress is made up of law makers that WE elected to spend time making and passing laws that will better our nation. What is this baseball investigation doing to better our nation? What does it really mean in the grand scheme of things. Instead of worrying about the pressing issues such as social security, health care, alternative energy, and others, Congress is using their time trying to figure out if they will put an asterisk beside a baseball players name after they retire.

I do not agree with professional athletes using steroids, but I don't really think it matters compared to the other much bigger issues! Here is my opinion: The investigation should be taking place, but Congress SHOULD NOT be the ones doing it! The MLB Association should conduct the investigation and confer the penalties. If the penalty is only going to be an asterisk beside the player's name, then just forget the whole investigation all together.

And why only baseball, what about all of the other professional sports? If you penalize one, you must penalize all.

Heres my second issue:

This morning the breaking news was about the confrontation in the Persian Gulf with the U.S. Navy and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard boats. It was a major issue, or at least I thought so. I have been watching CNN and the Today Show, and I have just been sitting here in disbelief.

About 60 seconds was spent on the Iranian confrontation on each program. On both networks this story was followed by a 5 minute summary of what is happening to Britney Spears. WHAT? Our media is more worried about Britney Spears' breakdown than they are a military confrontation that could have been devastating! Can you believe it?

All weekend every news program that I have watched, whether it be local or national, has covered the Britney Spears saga, and honestly I am about tired of it!

It just kills me that our media and our law makers are so wrapped up in stories and issues that do not even matter. What does this mean? What does this say about our nation? I have a degree in political science and feel like I have a pretty good outlook of politics around the world. The more I learn, the less I understand.

5 comments:

Alison said...

I totally agree with you! I am very tired of hearing about the steroids and Brittany Spears. It is sad to think that news is more important than our soldiers fighting in Iraq.

Meredith said...

We're in agreement at this house. We talked a lot about the baseball issue over break, since KD, his dad, and his brother are major baseball fans. We all feel that this investigation will ultimately prove to be worthless, because - after all - there were no laws against using steroids when these players were using. Punishing these people now (as much as we'd like to) would be like punishing people who drank at age 18 back when that was legal. Let's just retro-reinforce all new laws. Yeah, that sounds smart and efficient.

I also agree with you that Congress is not the venue for this investigation. Bud Selig should have gotten off his butt and started this a looooong time ago.

And, yes, it's in more than just baseball.

Oh, and I am also sick of B.Spears!

:-)

Mrs. Mullen said...

LoL, I agree 100% with you...funny thing is I JUST posted about this a few days ago...however my post was a bit more heated (I'm bad about holding my tongue when I'm upset about something) so after I posted it I changed it (its now on a private blog/journal of mine, so as not to offend anyone, LOL) BUT...It pretty much said the same thing about the B. Spears situation....I dont watch the news...well, I try not to...I HATE it...for TONS of various and of course obvious reasons...but when I do it sickens me. I didn't know about the baseball thing, interesting...**sigh** the world is going down hill but God has a plan, just keep that in mind :)

Jackie said...

AMEN SISTER! We need to focus on more important things. Preach on! Love ya, Jackie

Natalie Kellett said...

I totally agree with you hunny!!! Who cares anymore about Britney Spears. It does not need to be put on our local or national new channels. It's really ridiculous!!