My emotions were all over the place. We watched the beginning of the Carolina/Arizona football game yesterday. During the national anthem, they spread an American Flag out over the entire field. Along with military personnel, the football players were helping to hold the flag. While Jordan Sparks was singing the national anthem the camera was scanning the players and the military men and women. I completely lost it when I saw these big rough and tough football players with tears streaming down their cheeks at the sound of The Star Spangled Banner. I watched a Budweiser commercial this morning and cried again. I am just so thankful for the life that I have been blessed with, and I am fortunate not to be missing anyone lost in that awful tragedy, or after.
On September 11, 2001 I was 17, sitting in my first period class at Byrnes High School - Spanish. Every morning we would watch Despierta America, the Latin American version of Good Morning America. That morning was no different, we were watching as usual. A little before 9 am the show's female anchor began frantically speaking about something in Spanish, and no one in our class understood. Ms. Senn's face wrinkled up and she quickly turned around toward the television in disbelief. She translated to us what they were saying, and it was bad news. One of the World Trade Center towers had been hit. From there Ms. Senn quickly flipped the TV to CNN. Our class was buzzing about how tragic it was that this plane went off course, and what a big mistake that must have been. Only two or three minutes went by while we were watching the footage, glued to the television, when into the screen comes another plane. I don't remember if we were silent or screaming, but I remember we were horrified, because we watched live as the second plane struck the second tower.
The rest of the day we did nothing but watch the footage in school. I am so grateful for our teachers, who allowed us to forfeit a day of learning from our textbooks so that we could watch what was going on just a few hundred miles north of us. I was so emotional that week, for many reasons, but I was 17 and I understood that there were many children, husbands, wives, mothers, and fathers who lost someone that day. What a tragedy.
Last night, my parents, Hal and I went to Gibbs Stadium at Wofford College to a memorial ceremony remembering 9/11/01. We went specifically to see the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team, but the rest of the ceremony was truly a blessing and very emotional.
Here are some pictures:
I really enjoyed gathering with our community to remember this event. The Marine Corps Silent Drill team was awesome! I had never seen them in person before, and I just cannot say enough about how great they were! If you haven't seen them, youtube them, or find out when they will be near you and GO SEE THEM!
I want to leave you with this uplifting video from 10 years ago. I love it!








No comments:
Post a Comment