I don't ever remember a more spiritually fulfilling day in my life than this past Friday. It was a great day for me and I want to share about it.
Friday afternoon after I got off work, I met Hal and my mom at my house and we headed to Byrnes where we got the pleasure and honor of hearing Bobby Bowden speak. Yes, THE Bobby Bowden, the winningest coach in college football.
Bobby Bowden is one of the greatest role models that I know of and I was so excited to be able to hear him speak. He came and delivered his message to the Byrnes FCA and luckily we have friends in high places who were able to get us in as well. As he hobbled across the gymnasium floor, the whole crowd the the tomahawk chop. After a standing ovation, he began his message. He gave his personal testimony of how he came into a relationship with Jesus Christ, and encouraged those kids to enter into a relationship with Jesus too. He told us that football wasn't and never had been his top priority, that God always had number one. He spoke to the kids about having their priorities in order, and that athletics weren't everything. I was so impressed with the way he spoke on their level. He didn't use any big words or fancy phrases to get their attention; he spoke directly to them, and all about Jesus.
I felt so honored to be apart of that crowd, and I left there with a precious memory. Bobby Bowden is the epitome of what every role model in a child's life should be. I thanked the Lord then and there for allowing Mr. Bowden to come to our small town and witness to our athletes. I am sure he made more than a lasting impression.
Later that evening, Hal and I went to our church for revival. Wow, what a revival. I felt such a spiritual revival when I went to bed on Friday night, something that I hadn't felt in a long time. When revival started the New Jerusalem Baptist Church Choir from Greer came and sang the praise music. They are an African-American choir, and let me tell you, I have never, EVER been more moved by music in all of my life. They were AWESOME and did a great job preparing us for worship. At one point, I really did feel the urge to just get up and shout to the Lord. Most of the time they were singing, I had tears running down my face. The Holy Spirit was there that night, and I felt Him as if He were physically sitting right beside me.
After the singing, Pastor Len Turner came and delivered the message from 2 Corinthians 12:7-11. I almost jumped for joy when I turned over to this in my bible, because this is my very favorite passage in the bible. The passage talks about when God gives Paul a thorn in the flesh and he pleads with God to take it away. Instead of taking it away, God tells Paul that His grace is sufficient, and that in Paul's weakness God's strength is made perfect.
Glory Hallelujah! What an awesome God we have, who knows what we need, and doesn't always do what we ask! God's grace is ALWAYS sufficient, no matter what, and when we are weak, God's grace makes us strong. If God were to take away all of our thorns, we wouldn't ever have to lean on Him. Because we are all weak, God's marvelous grace is our strength. What a triumph! At our weakest God is at His strongest, and always, in His time, comes through!
I find such fulfillment in knowing how all mighty our God is.
Friday was a kind of day I want to strive to have everyday!
1 comment:
I'm so happy for you. I wish I could have been at both of those places with you!
About Bowden, Keith and I watched We Are Marshall this weekend and were really impressed with the role Bowden played in their recovery. I'm sure you've seen it, but if not you should simply for that!
Post a Comment