After a very long week, all is finally well in the Chafey household. My cold has pretty much cleared up, and Hal is almost back to 100 percent again. We are both feeling much better with much thanks to a nice, restful weekend. Hal gets this week off from work, and he has to go back Monday. Other than that, things are pretty normal in our lives.
Like many of you, Hal and I decided to participate in Lent this year. Our church as a whole did not participate, but as individuals we decided to. Hal and I have found much spiritual growth since we have been married, and by fasting for Lent, we felt it would only encourage our growth. Tomorrow will be the 14th day, and its been the hardest 14 days of my life.
Hal wanted to fast sweets for Lent, and I wanted to fast every beverage except for water and milk. We came to an agreement that we would each do both, so it wouldn't be hard on either one of us. So that means that I am fasting all things sweet, AND all sweet tea and soda. Holy cow, has it been hard. I am ADDICTED, seriously addicted to sweet tea, and I crave it everyday. Last night when Hal and I went to Publix to get groceries, we were strategically planning our Easter meal. Right now, we are thinking that I will eat a whole Key Lime Pie and he will eat Chocolate Brownies with Peanut Butter icing. I am telling you, this is HARD!
Yes, I have thought about just taking a drink or a bite, but everytime I just couldn't. I couldn't do it. This Lent has really opened my eyes to the sacrifice that Jesus made for me, and I want to prove to myself and Him that I can make a small sacrifice for Him. My minor meal adjustments don't even compare to the catastrophic sacrifice that He made, so I know I can make it 33 more days until Easter!
And thanks to Lent I have lost 7 pounds!
I don't know if I will participate next year, I guess I will see when it comes around again, but I know I am thankful for Jesus making such a sacrifice, one that mortal men would never be able to make.
2 comments:
Good for you, girl!! That is awesome! I have a friend that is also not eating sweets right now and she too is struggling! Just think of all of the Easter treats you will be sure to appreciate this year! You and Hal just hang in there, you can do it :)
Keep it up! Glad you both are doing much better. WHEN you get to eat the Key Lime pie, try the HUGE one at Costco. It cost $10 and one of the best bought ones I have had. It is in the back around the bakery things in a cooler. Yum Yum
P.S. Anna look so cute (and already back to her normal size) when she stopped by the house about the pump.
Post a Comment