Friday, July 6, 2007

Our "Child" named Earl



Well, as it turns out, we got back from the beach safely and had a marvelous time! Those two days just went by so fast! I am hoping next year Hal and I will get to stay longer! Here are a few pics from our trip: ( I will get to Earl's introduction later in the post!)

This is my precious husband getting a tan...a much needed tan I must say!!


Hal and me on the golf cart, coming back from a great day at the beach!!

Hal and I at our favorite seafood restaurant Orginial Benjamins!

We are yet again on the golf cart riding until they MAKE us go home!

My precious parents!

We tend to pout when we have to leave! :D


Hal and me in the car on the way home, we are both pretty bummed but really ready to get home!



Well let me get to my introduction of our "child" named Earl. First let me start by saying that we live in a very small one bedroom apartment. Obviously we do not have any real children yet, and Hal has just recently agreed to let me get a dog. His condition of me getting a dog though, is us moving out of this tiny apartment and moving into a real house with a yard and all of the trappings and comforts a pet might need that you would never find in a one bedroom apartment. We both wanted some kind of a pet/"child" that we could take care of and love. One day my mother-in-law called and said she had just what we needed, and so she proceeded to bring over her "grandchildren." Here is a picture of Earl! (Hal gave him his name)



Earl is what is known as a Dionaea muscipula or a VENUS FLY TRAP! Our weekend project this weekend is to get him a new home. There have at one time been 14 traps on tiny little Earl, he is growing out of his pot! Six of the traps have now died but we have 3 babies that are growing very fast! At the moment we have 8 active traps! I must mention that about 8 weeks ago, when we first got him, he only had 4 traps!! Hal is in love with this thing! He catches bugs for it, feeds it, and seriously takes care of it like it were really a child. He gets really distraught when he sees that it hasn't caught anything in a couple of days! It really is fascinating to watch this thing catch bugs though and it does a great job! It catches mosquitoes, flies, spiders, and all kinds of other nasty little pests!!

What we really love about the venus fly trap is that they are NATIVE TO SOUTH CAROLINA! How cool, huh? They are indigenous to the South Carolina swamps and wetlands in the lower part of the state! So, this is the closest thing that we have to a pet or a child, and I felt it necessary to introduce everyone!! We are actually "babysitting" another venus fly trap this next week for my boss's son. Here is a pic of his trap as well!

For now, I am going to go, but I would like one favor! If you all could, please say a prayer for my good friend Stephanie who is due TOMORROW with her baby boy Perrin. Her doctors aren't very optimistic that he will ever drop or that she will dialate. She does not want to have a c-section nor be induced! Just say a prayer for her to have patience and for Gods hand to be on her as she endures labor and delivery very soon!! Thanks for doing that! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you had a great vacation! We love Ocean Lakes too!
Earl is too cute! You acutally had me going for a while...I thought you had gotten a dog! But Earl is so much better, you don't have to house train him! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Earl is my kind of pet!

Alison said...

I love Earl! :) He doesn't seem like he would cause much trouble!

The Dales said...

How cute! My neighbors when I was little had a big fly trap and they are way cool! I totally forgot about them and how neat they are! Where can you find them? Thanks for the shout out, I am so ready to have Perrin, if he doesn't come by my dr.s visit Tuesday, I am going to be induced Wednesday morning I think. Love ya!!