Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My All Stars!

Last night as I sat and watched the Major League Baseball All Star game, it made me start to think of my lifetime heroes and all stars. As Willie Mays threw out the first pitch, the players stood around him in awe of his presence and of his truly God-given talent. Wille Mays is the epitome of a "baseball hero" I would have to say. "The Say Hey Kid" as they call him hit 661 career home runs and played in the MLB All Star game a record 24 times! He did all of this in an era when being black and playing a professional sport was socially unacceptable. Without using steroids and other performance enhancing drugs, Willie Mays is arguably one of the best baseball players of all time. I guess I would be star-struck too if I were standing within feet of him!

I was so delighted to see the stars in Jose Reyes' eyes as he caught the pitch thrown by Willie Mays. When he caught the ball, he walked up to Wille and pulled a sharpie marker out of his glove. He asked Willie Mays to give him an autograph! A man like Jose Reyes, who gives autographs everyday, who makes millions doing the same thing Willie Mays did, you would never think he would do that. You could tell how excited he was when Willie handed him the signed ball and gave him a hug. Even the heros have heros and it made me think, who were mine?

My first and most important member of my All Star team is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Because of Him, I have an eternal life. For me, He gave it all. Without Jesus in my life and my faith to lean on, I would be nothing.

The next pick would have to be my precious husband, Hal. I have never felt love in my heart like I feel for him. His accomplishments in life make me so proud of him. No matter how hard he works or how tired he may be, he never complains, but keeps going strong instead. I have watched his faith in God grow over the years and watch everyday how he tries to walk so closely with the Lord. Of course, if I had an athlete for a hero, it would be him too!

My mom is also a hero of mine. Her unwaivering faith and her strong will to survive and succeed have always been an inspiration in my life. For those of you who know me, you know it has not always been easy for my mom and me. Because of her, I have turned into a woman with Christian values and standards that she raised me with. I look back at my childhood and I realize the many sacrifices that she made for me and I could not be more grateful to her. She has given me so much and I am so lucky to have a wonderful mother and friend like her!

My stepdad Frankie also plays an important role on my All Star team. This man came into my life and loved me as if he were my own father. When I needed the guidance of a father, he has always been there to help and love me! To him, I am not his stepdaughter, but his daughter, and I would have it NO other way. I love him as if he were my own dad and in my heart the technicality of father/stepfather does not exist!

My mothers parents have always been heros of mine. My MaMa and PaPa, as I knew them, were two of the most wonderful people that I have ever known. I was their youngest grandchild by at least 10 years, so needless to say, I was their baby! They never spoiled me with toys and gifts, but spoiled me with their unconditional love that I miss every day of my life. Their love for my family was unmeasurable. In love until the day they died, they were married for 67 years! I cannot think of a better testament to the marriage vows than them. The love I still feel for them fills my heart and the wonderful memories I have with them are some of my most precious posessions.

The people I have listed above are my support system and my daily inspiration. I do find support and inspiration in others as well. I am so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful family and friends who I love so much, and who love me in return despite my quirks and flaws. I am thankful to my heroes, family, and friends for the love they give me everyday and for being who they are!

No comments: