The very first day we started moving in our house, a cat from across the street walked over and adopted us right then. Now I am no cat lover, but man I loved this cat with all my heart. I am, afterall, an animal lover in general so I just couldn't help love him. He was the friendliest, coolest, funniest cat that I had ever seen. The minute I met him I feel in love with him. He belonged to the very old couple that lived across the street, and they just couldn't take care of him the way he should have been. One of them was alergic to cats so they put him outside and fed him and cared for him that way. (I don't think there is anything wrong with having an outdoor cat, though.)
Thats why he adopted me and Hal, I think. He wanted more love. From the beginning I named him Spook because I didn't know what his real name was. He would come over almost everyday and I would feed him, let him inside for a while, and give him lots of love. When he was ready to go he would let me know. I had fallen in love with Spook.
Apparently Spook was a roamer, like all outdoor cats are. Well one nosey lady up the street decided that the neighborhood cats were getting on her nerves, so she called animal control. Animal control came by one day unannounced and picked up Spook and 2 of our neighbors' cats. All 3 of them were someone's pets, and in one swoop they were gone. Just like that. No written warning, no citation, just gone.
When our neighbor called animal control to get their cats back they wouldn't tell them anything. They would give them no other information than telling them to check at the humane society. Two days after the cats were picked up my neighbor went to get their cats at the humane society and they weren't there. They went back 2 days later and they still weren't there. All 3 cats had been euthanized. Not one of them was EVER put up for adoption.
Trust me, I believe in pet population control, but we are talking about someone's pets here. The little 5 year old girl across the street who lost her cat still doesn't understand why her cat is gone. I still don't understand why they are gone and why they were euthanized so quickly. They weren't even given the standard time frame of 5 days for adoption.
I broke down into tears when I found out. I couldn't stand the thought of those animals being killed like that. They cannot even defend themselves. I wanted to go scream in the nosey old ladies' face that called animal control in the first place to mind her own business. This was just plain cruel and I felt so completely helpless.
I am so hurt by this and I want to do something to change it, but I don't know what I can do. I am just so frustrated that people can be so heartless.
this is Spook
5 comments:
Oh, Haley that is horrible. I can't believe that. I have such a heart for animals and that just makes me want to cry. I can't believe that they didn't even take them to the humaine society first. Can you do anything about it? I'm so sorry, he was a beautiful cat and I just hate that and it really makes me mad!
Haley, that is truly sad. I'm not sure why people have to be such busybodies! And I really don't understand why the cats were put down so quickly. What an awful shock for those families!
That's horrible!! That lady shouldn't have done that or if she had a problem, she could've handled it a little better and the animal control totally handled it wrong, as well as the humane society. What is so "humane" about the way they handled those animals?? I would write a letter to the newspaper about it and/ or call the news. They would both probably cover the story! Sooo sad!
Haley, this makes me really really sad! I'm sorry Spook was taken away! I am also concerned because since the birth of our son, our cat has been an exclusively outdoor cat. I wonder if there is anyway we can avoid having him taken away. I cannot believe our neighbor did this, but I have heard of her calling about animals before. :(
Have your pets chipped! Then when the humane society scans their necks, they will have a name to contact!!!That's all I know to do. Its relatively cheap and does not hurt the animal at all!! We have our dogs chipped and it give me peace of mind to know that if they are to get out, someone knows they aren't "just strays". I'm sorry about Spook!! What a beautiful cat!
Post a Comment