I believe there is a time and place for everything. I believe that there are times when certain actions and behaviors are just not appropriate. I grew up in a household here in the south that holds our very southern values close to our heart. I believe in saying yes ma'am and no sir, in respecting your elders and authority, and showing hospitality to everyone. Maybe saying "southern values" is not the most politically correct thing to say, but I don't care. Y'all know what I mean, and this post is about my 2 cents!
Now I must enter a disclaimer. The following post may not rub you the right way, but you have the choice not to read it. I try not to be so "political" or outspoken on my blog, because there are better things to write about, but today I've just about had enough. I hope someone agrees with me.
I am ashamed and embarrassed with part of the large community that I live in right now. As many people know who live near me, the President of the United States was in town yesterday to celebrate the graduation of a certain well acclaimed university in the area. He was invited here by the university and the governor of our state, to speak to the graduates. What an honor, right? Well, not exactly. Some of the professors at the university decided to protest against the president coming, and threatened to make protests that could potentially ruin the graduation. For the last 4 or 5 weeks, the media has swarmed over this story, because these professors were just causing such a ruckus over the President. So much so that the students began protesting against their professors in fear that the professors would selfishly ruin the graduation that these students have all worked so hard for.
It is usually required that the professors attend graduation but some of them were granted absences. 31 of the professors didn't show up. To them, I say thank you. Thank you for the respect that they showed the graduates and the President.
Now I am back to my "time and place for everything." Some of the protesting professors decided that they would not stay at home, that they would come and protest anyway. During the President's speech, some professors took off their robes and stood up wearing tee shirts that said (W)e Object. Now I understand that this was a silent protest and could have been a lot worse. I still think that it was far from appropriate and completely disrespectful to the graduates of this great university. Many of the professors that protested, did so on the grounds that their beliefs didn't align with those of the President's. They said that they didn't agree with his energy policy, with his war policy, or one of the many other issues. One lady even almost got herself arrested because of her behavior.
Is that really necessary at a time like this; at a college graduation honoring students who have worked so hard to get to this place? My opinion, absolutely not. I think it was an extremely selfish act on the part of the professors, and I am very ashamed and embarressed for those students who had to endure all of that in their last weeks in college. The President's speech was not one about policies, the war, or anything political. He challenged those young adults to be good stewards and to give back to the community. So why, then, protest? He was just another man standing up there giving a speech to those deserving young people.
No, we may not agree with everything that the President says or does, but it is still an honor to be in his presence. I think it would be such a great story to tell my children that the President of the U.S., whoever that might be, came and spoke at my college graduation. I think its a sad thing to overshadow such a great day, with your own personal agendas. That is why I am so embarrassed for this university and for those students.
With all that said, I do feel like the President was welcomed here with good ole southern hospitality, and for that I am so proud. There was a large crowd when Air Force One landed at the local airport. People lined the streets from the airport to the university with American Flags and banners saying "Welcome Bush!"
My parents and I went over to the airport to see AF1 and to watch him leave. I cannot tell you what a chilling experience it was. The roads around the airport were like parking lots, lined with people trying to get a glimpse of the President. We parked and watched for a while along with about 300 other people. As his motorcade came in and the plane took off, people were cheering and showing support for Pres. Bush. It was great.
I am saying all of this mainly to say that I absolutely do not agree with everything that President Bush has done in his eight years. But I still support him 100%. Thats just how I am, its just how I was raised. He is our President and I will support him until he is out of office. And guess what? I will support the next one just as fervently as I have supported Mr. Bush, because that is what I am supposed to do, no matter if I voted for them or not. I am AMERICAN by the grace of God. I will support my country, my President, and the troops until the day I die.
The right to free speech is something that I am thankful for, but I still think there is a time and place for everything. At the risk of sounding corny, God Bless America and the President.
14 comments:
Amen, sister!
I actually watched part of his speech last week at the Air Force Academy Graduation (obviously, they were respectful), and I thought he did a great job. He even poked fun of himself.
You are right, there is a time and place for everything. The day was about the graduates, not political views. It is an honor to have any President speak at your school.
Totally agree....so disrespectful. Can I tell you that I wrote an e-mail to one of the prof. that was apart of the 14 that stood at the ceremony (his name was in the paper...David Turner, if you would like to write him also). I am totally ashamed of these people. What an embarrassment to FU and to the Upstate.
Well said, I could not believe how rude and disrespectful they were either. I mean the students are paying your salary, so it's not your place to object when a speaker comes for their graduation! I would've expected more out of adults who are supposed to be well educated, clearly that means nothing in some cases.
As a graduate of FU, I can tell you it broke my heart in two. One of my favorite profs, dear to my heart, was one of the 14 standing. It ripped me up to see his picture. Steph and I talked about it last week, and I told her that the large protest was not only about their dislike of Bush's policies, but also about their selfish, greedy desire to be consulted before Dr. Shi allowed POTUS to speak. What a crock. It was the students' day, not the faculty's day, and Dr. Shi did exactly the right thing by consulting the officers of the senior class - who, by the way, voted unanimously for Pres. Bush to speak.
On the other hand, I am deeply grateful that it was only 14 and that the vast majority of FU people and the surrounding community were loving and supportive. I'm so glad it wasn't worse and so glad that most people showed class and dignity. I'm thankful it was FU and not a university in a more liberal state - or a university that would have allowed more rowdy behavior. You are right, Haley. It was an exciting honor. (I was SHOCKED when I first heard of it several months ago!) I agree with very little that Bush has done, but I respect his authority, his position, and his character.
Annie, he poked fun of himself at FU, too. It cracked me up! He said his father had also spoken at FU (not as president, though), and the fact that 2 generations had spoken there was a giant step forward for the Bush family but a big step backward for the FU English department. Haha!
I was collecting my thoughts to post on my own blog, but now I guess I won't. :) Thank you for posting this.
Haley, I agree! Patrick's family and I watched the speech on the internet and it was a GREAT speak! No matter who the President is Americans should support them. I was very disappointed when I saw the picture in the paper.
I AGREE! I believe we are to show respect to the person serving in the Pres. office. People are so selfish to only think of themselves and not what this day was really about.
I am definitely a democrat, but I also believe that the Furman Professors were in the wrong. At some point they should have taken a step back and said... the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES wants to come to our SMALL LIBERAL ARTS university to speak... WOW!!! We have to really respect the Office of the President or we risk making the President's role equal to that of anyone else.
Very well said Haley! A friend of our family graduated from FU and I felt so bad for her!
If the prof. didn't like that the Pres. was speaking, then they shouldn't have gone. It wasn't their graduation, it was the students.
And whether you like him or not, you should still be respectful of our nation's leader!!!
Agree 100%!!
well said - we were privileged to get to stand along the motorcade route and cheer as the President drove by. I was so disappointed that such a distinguished visit caused such a ruckus. Last time I checked, graduations were about the graduates...not the faculty. Ugh!
I heard somebody else remark about the whole thing of the university president not consulting the faculty...they asked the question - when was the last time that your BOSS asked your opinion about a major decision regarding the company? For most people, NEVER - that's why they're the BOSS - it's their job to make certain decisions for the company/business/school/etc. What gives the FU faculty the right to even have a say? I just don't get it! Sounds an awful lot like an entitlement mentality to me!
Post a Comment