Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Sad Anniversary

I have been waiting for this day to tell you this story. Four years ago yesterday was a day that Hal and I won't soon forget. On August 4, 2004 Hal had Tommy John surgery.

Hal was a phenomenal left-handed pitcher with a fast ball in the mid 90's. He, to this day, holds the state record for most strike outs in a high school baseball game. There are 21 outs, he struck out 20 batters. Yep, he was that good.

He went to college on a baseball scholarship and began being scouted his sophomore year. He passed on the opportunity his sophomore year in hopes of being drafted the next year. In 2002, his junior year in college, he was drafted in the major league baseball draft by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Hal started his 3rd season as a professional player the summer of 2004. We had been dating for just over a year and I already knew that I would someday marry him. I was prepared for a life as a baseball wife, supporting Hal every step of the way. He was playing just outside of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky. His team had a week long home stretch in late June, so I flew up and stayed the week to watch him play.

The day I was supposed to go home was the day that he was supposed to start (the game). I was supposed to fly out before the game, but I desperately wanted to stay to see him. Something inside me told me that I needed to stay. I called my airline, paid an extra $100, and stayed through the game. I was a nervous wreck.

He pitched a great game, but I knew something was wrong. In the 4th inning he loaded the bases, and I could see the tension in his face. By God's grace he struck the next three batters out and walked off the field. That would be the last inning he would ever pitch.

He went down to the bull pen and called me from his cell phone. He told me that something was really wrong and that he was in a lot of pain. He said he was going to see the trainer and then he would drive me to the airport. My heart sunk with fear and hurt. I could hear the hurt in his voice.

About 10:30 he finished with the trainer and we headed to the airport. The next day he was scheduled to have an MRI. As we drove up to the airport my heart was breaking. I think I somehow knew inside that this was it. I kept myself together and told him everything would be fine, we said our goodbyes, and he drove away. The minute the car was out of site I lost it. Standing right there on the sidewalk in the Cincinnati airport, I was sobbing.

The next day he called me to tell me that he was on his way home. The MRI had shown that he had a torn UCL and would need surgery. His season was over, definately.

On August 4th he had the surgery. It was a lot harder than he thought it would be, and his arm never really got better. After rehabing for 8 months he still wasn't ready when the next season came along, so he was released.

It hurt me so bad to see how bad he was hurting. He had lived his whole life pursuing the dream of a baseball career. In one shot it was over. To this day, I wish I could have taken his place, but all I could do was be there for him and love him with all my heart. I am grateful that I was able to share this experience with him, although it wasn't a good one, because it brought us much closer. I know there is a reason for everything, but many days I wonder what might have been.


Hal and I a couple nights before he "blew out" his arm.

Just a few days after his surgery, across the river from Cincinnati.


Maybe one day I'll talk him back into baseball. Coach Chafey has a nice ring to it I think. Until then, he's doing great and thanking God for His many blessings.

1 comment:

Medic Mom said...

What an awesome story! I didn't even know he played ball after High School. You guys are so cute!